[Funding Effort] Apple M1 Support

Let’s bring support for the Apple M1! :muscle:

I’ve opened a quadratic fund to help offset the development costs and to gauge interest in supporting the new Apple M1 chip.

https://fund.webodm.org/#/fund/6

4 Likes

Pledged what I can to hopefully kick it off.

4 Likes

:partying_face: that’s awesome! Thanks @W6oody.

3 Likes

Some coins from me, as well!

Let’s get more eyes on this!

3 Likes

Alright folks, get ready for me to be the hypeman again.

StarfieldHypeGIF

We’ve gotten a number of inquiries here about ARM64, and specifically the Apple M1 flavor of it. We’ve also had a few folks run into some papercuts with Docker on MacOS, similar to how it was for Docker on Windows.

In my professional capacity with UAV4Geo, I’ve also received a number of inquiries about M1 support.

So, Piero/UAV4Geo are my employer, but I’m putting that hat aside for a moment and putting back on my “end user” hat.

I think we, as a community, have a few really important, big things to be gained by helping Piero take this goal to the finish line.

Apple M1 / ARM64 Support

There is no denying that the Apple M1 is an incredibly impressive ARM64 chip (and in general, just an absolutely performant and efficient chip at ALL, across x86_64 [Intel/AMD] as well). We have had a few users attempting to help us fix up our toolchain to be ARM64 ready. If we can grab M1/ARM64 support, the number of devices available to run OpenDroneMap natively on increases greatly. I think we will continue to see the proliferation of ARM64 devices in the mobile computing space from Microsoft, Apple, and others. It also means that the Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB would make a mean starter unit for someone, or a great piece of a compute cluster!

Unified Updated Codebase

This was a huge benefit going on in the background of the Windows native port effort, and I believe similar benefits will be had by pursuing Apple M1/ARM64 support. Improvements to one area of the codebase stand to benefit everyone, and we may even find some optimizations and other improvements that we maybe didn’t focus on prior! So in other words, this port effort and all the work that goes into it should certainly help the docker, Linux native, Lightning, and Windows native folks as well as the MacOS native and M1/ARM64 folks that are being focused on currently.

Progress towards native MacOS Build

Just as it helped the UX of the Windows users (no more tweaking Docker RAM/CPU/Storage allocation), progressing towards a MacOS native build means our MacOS friends and community users will also eventually have less Docker management headaches! This isn’t a guarantee with this particular development effort, but the work on the Apple M1/ARM64 support will put us much further down this path than we are currently!

How You Can Help

1. Get the word out

The most important thing anyone can do right now is get more eyes and ears on this funding effort! We want everyone to know that we’re doing another massive infrastructure refactor and upgrade, and that in so doing, we’re getting support for bleeding-edge hardware.

Know someone? Know someone who knows somone? Let them know! Let their dog know! :rofl:

2. Join the Fund

Secondarily, if you stand to directly/immediately benefit and you have the means to do so, please consider donating to the WebODM Fund for the Apple M1 development.

3 Likes

We’ve got 7 days left!

R

58% Funded from 9 Donations [$3391 remaining]

• Woody started us off STRONG!
  • I threw some in
  • yannoun really helped out!
  • Kalanga Joffres made a great contribution!
  • Brian Mc Donald threw some in!
  • Higher Attitudes LLC really assisted us!
  • Goribee threw some in!
  • israelbar threw some in!
  • Thomas Koenig went long!

I posted in these two private Facebook Groups to make sure folks know what we’re up to :slight_smile:

1. Agricultural and Crop Health Mapping | Facebook
  2. UAV / Drone Precision Agriculture | Facebook

I also posted in my personal Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.

Do you know any forums, groups, or maybe work/industry folks we’ve not reached yet? Please let them know what we have going on!

2 Likes

We’re making good progress on this — 70%! But also cutting it very close to deadline. Let’s get this over the top!

2 Likes

We’ve got 6 days left!

6days

70% Funded from 10 Donations [$2318 remaining]

• I threw some in
  • Goribee threw some in!
  • Kal made a great contribution!

Another $50 pledge would (with the help of the Quadratik subsidy) bring the remaining balance down to just $1271!

We are SO close!

• 5 donations at $10 to be fully funded!
  • 3 donations at $25 to be fully funded!
  • 2 donations (and one at $10 or below) to be fully funded!

We’ve got 5 days left!

91% Funded from 12 Donations [$742 remaining]

• I threw some in
  • Goribee threw some in!
  • David Anderson threw some in!
  • Stephen Mather made a great contribution!

Another $10 pledge would (with the help of the Quadratik subsidy) would bring the remaining balance to just $193!

We are SO close!

• 2 donations at $10 to be fully funded!
  • 1 donations at $25 to be fully funded!

Does anyone know folks we’ve not reached yet who might be interested in what we have going on?

2 Likes

We’ve got 4 days left!

102% Funded from 13 Donations

• I threw some in
  • Goribee threw some in!
  • David Anderson threw some in!
  • Stephen Mather made a great contribution!
  • Cristiano Giovando carries us across the finish line!

We are DONE!

What comes next? Let’s find out together!

3 Likes

Bam. Done. Thanks to Cristiano Giovando for bringing this home!

3 Likes

Time for some celebration! Can’t wait to see this come out.

3 Likes

It is really exciting! We gained so much in the last year by our upgrades for snap packages and the Windows native port. This should also be pretty awesome!

1 Like

With two days left, Sean Thomas threw some in to help out!

TwoMoreDaysSpongebobGIF

I don’t believe we have any “stretch” goals defined this time, but every dollar helps Piero work towards this huge improvement!

Work should begin pretty prompty after the close of this funding round, so get ready for updates to come in. Hopefully we can keep everyone updated on the progress and what things we’ve “won” with this undertaking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ve got one day left!

JustOneMoreDay!GIF

We’re fully funded! We have 14 great folks to thank for materially contributing thus far, plus countless more of you folks from our community who helped us all reach folks and get them involved!

2 Likes

w00t, such amazing response. :pray:

Thank you all for the support! Update coming soon.

2 Likes

WebODM interface up and running with arm64 docker images:

Need to update our build process on GitHub to automatically create these.

ODM/NodeODM are next.

2 Likes

Lets do Nvidia GPU’s next.
please please please

3 Likes