Unusual bump in DSM, DTM

Hi,

I processed one dataset in WebODM and Dronedeploy and I have seen some differences between orthomosaic as well as DSM, DTM.

First, I used --mesh-size as 300000 and --pc-quality as High and I got this result.
previous_webodm.PNG

Then I processed with Dronedeploy and the results were better. I observed the Processing report and I increased our --mesh-size to 4000000 & pc-quality to Ultra and the results improved as compared to DroneDeploy.

But I noticed few things which might require some tweaking to achieve the Dronedeploy result.
DroneDeploy_Elevation.PNG

You can see the elevation profile generated by dronedeploy.

QGIS_Elevation.PNG

This is our WebODM elevation profile. Edges are better this time but still I guess there can be scope of improvements with better parameters. Also, the elevation profile generated by Webodm is not smooth enough.
The latest parameters which I used are:
webodm_parameters

I am also attaching the Processing report of Dronedeploy.
dronedeploy_report.pdf (3.4 MB)

Can we achieve a better DSM and a little bit better Straight Edges?

Try something like this:
Options: camera-lens: brown, dsm: true, dtm: true, feature-quality: ultra, gps-accuracy: 5, matcher-distance: 20, matcher-neighbors: 32, pc-geometric: true, resize-to: -1, pc-quality: ultra

4 Likes

Tried it…got only the part of the orthomosaic. :frowning_face:

notwork.PNG

Then you might need to un-constrain --gps-accuracy and/or maybe increase --min-num-features

2 Likes

Still the unusual bump is there.

Capture.PNG

Also, I saw some Zig-zag lines (highlighted in Red) on orthomosaic generated by WebODM.
capture1.PNG

where as it was not present on the orthomosaic generated by Dronedeploy.
capture_2.PNG

The parameters I used were:

1 Like

Is there anything else I could try to smoothen DSM and avoid Zig-zag lines on orthophoto?

1 Like

How big is your imaged area? Maybe you’d benefit from increasing the --mesh-size so more tris/verts are available to describe the geometry.

The total area is around 60 hectares. I tried increasing --mesh-size to 4000000 (looking at the Dronedeploy report which I have attached in the post too). After increasing the mesh size too, I got kind of similar result.

1 Like

Do you know what DroneDeploy is using for their Mesh Octree depth?

At highest quality, Pix4D uses Mesh Octree Depth 14 and Mesh Size 5,000,000

1 Like

Nope. I just saw the report of Dronedeploy. The mesh triangles are 4.0 million. If I am not wrong, does this indicate --mesh-size?

1 Like

Just curious to know whether Pix4D also uses the exact same algorithm which WebODM uses?

1. Increasing Mesh Octree Depth certainly helped.
    First, I increased it to 14 but the process failed.

PoissonRecon failed with 1 threads, let’s retry with 0

1. Then I read that the recomended value of Mesh Octree Depth is between 8-12. So, I set it to 12.
    DSM has certainly improved.
    comparison.PNG

But it is still not straighten as it can be seen in the Dronedeploy result.

1. Orthophoto is still the same. I have highlighted in red.
    webodm.PNG

Just for the reference, I will upload the snapshot of Dronedeploy again.
dronedeploy.PNG

Is there anything I could try to improve orthophoto as well as DSM? :thinking:

1 Like

How does the points cloud look like ?

1 Like

Hard to say! Pix4D is closed-source.

However, since their configuration files are easily read, I grabbed their values for various quality setting tiers to make direct comparisons of reconstruction a bit closer.

Much like increasing --pc-quality or --feature-quality, raising --mesh-octree-depth greatly increases the RAM usage, in a non-linear fashion.

1 Like

So, can spilting the images help in tackling the RAM usage?

1 Like

Absolutely!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.