How to export dsm,dtm in color?

hello, processed about 400 photos to ortho and dtm,dsm and would like to export the dsm and dtm with color, but when I open to tif file in another program its just white. not sure of the process to achieve such a thing. any help would be great…

1 Like

What is the other program? When use generated DTMs in ArcMap or QGIS, I colorize them using symbology.

1 Like

I use qgis to colorize them as well, just thought there might be a way to export them in color from ODM the same as the way you view them from webodm. I suppose not?

I’ll mention it again here- it would also be nice to be able to see the same palette as used in the quality report in the WebODM viewer. It has purple colouring in elevations below dark blue, giving better effective resolution, and a nicer appearance IMO.

Welcome!

You can export them from the WebODM viewer as symbolized GeoTIFF. Just be cognizant of the fact that they are no longer suitable for anything but visual analysis as the data values have been irreversibly altered.

You can use the layer button on the top right of the map panel to get to this menu.

1 Like

Keep in mind that a Digital Elevation/Surface Model (DEM/DSM) are no RGB-raster images like an orthophoto, but a singleband 32-bit floating point raster (in case of ODM output).
Meaning, each pixel holds only one value, which is the elevation.
I strongly recommend using GIS tools for handling ODM output, like visualization, reprojection (amongst other). Top of the notch are ArcGIS (proprietary, commercial) and QGIS (open source).
QGIS is very powerful. For displaying a DEM/DSM like it is done in the ODM report, you want to load the raster into QGIS and choose singleband pseudocolor as its render type. QGIS has already a handful of color palettes pre-installed, and you can manipulate them or create your own to achieve the visualization that you want. You can also display the DEM as contour lines, which - combined with let’s say a hillshade of your DEM laying underneath it - looks very neat!

https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_raster/raster_properties.html

2 Likes

I have replicated the color ramp ODM uses in QGIS. Unfortunately, I cannot upload the style file here. But reproducing it is simple.
Just create your own color ramp using the following options:

Color 1: 255,0,255 (RGB)
Color 2: 255,0,0

Additional Gradient Stops:
@20%: 0,0,255
@40%: 0,255,255
@60%: 0,255,0
@80%: 255,255,0

It should look like this:
Screenshot 2021-10-11 090226

For an almost perfect match to the ODM report figure, select multiply for color rendering. Duplicate the raster and render it as an hillshade, put it underneath the singleband pseudocolor render.

6 Likes

This was super helpful! One thing for other QGIS noobs like myself, is that “Interpolation” must be set to linear. Other settings result in an invisible layer, or a jarringly banded one.

4 Likes

Ah yes, true. Didn’t think of that, as linear is set to my default interpolation method. Thanks for adding this. :+1:t2:

2 Likes