There have been plenty of dragonfly nymphs hatching into dragonflies lately, and I was able to grab one of the nymph casings and mount on a matchstick, and then take over 180 images with my DSLR to produce a 3D model. I did spend a lot of time over a week editing out the matchstick, but my one attempt so far to produce a 3D model from those images results in a mess of a number of disconnected bits. The model shown here was with about half of the images having the match edited out in GIMP. The casing is 2cm long.
Agreed. I love this.
That’s cool! I’ve got a mini army of exuviae that I collected from vegetation at our local canal! I’d not thought of making a 3d model of them!