Workstation for Generating orthophotos offline

Hi @all,

Because it is not possible to generate high detailed orthophotos with WebODM Lightning because of restrictions i have to buy some special hardware.
I have choosen this one:
DELL WORKSTATION PRECISION T3610 QC XEON E5-1620 V2 3,7GHZ 32GB 1TB

Can somebody tell me if this is a good choice for the beginning?

Thanks Ronny

1 Like

Get more RAM, as much as you can.

1 Like

@Saijin_Naib would 96GB be a good practice ?
THX

Depends heavily on your expected job size, image resolution, etc…

If it doesn’t hurt your wallet too much, I’d say max it out.

@Saijin_Naib OK thx
I’ve bought this one with 96GB RAM i hope that it will fit my needs😉

3 Likes

I hope so as well!

Please report back how things are going when you stitch your first dataset.

:+1: i’ll do

2 Likes

You should be good to around 3000 images, maybe more.

1 Like

@smathermather-cm
I hope that this will work for me because i’ve spend a lot of money for Hardware and bought already the Missing Guide :wink:

3 Likes

The great thing about RAM is that if you’ve not maxed out your server, you can always add more later when you can afford it.

I have three workstations that I’ve put together for NodeODM nodes, each one will have 64 GB to start with, and I’ll eventually max them out.

3 Likes

I’d love to test 64GB (32x2) for my Mini-ITX :wink:

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve run many jobs up to about 1500 images on 64GB with success. I have a couple machines with multi core processors. I thought I’d start with 64GB and would add on as needed but haven’t had to. My smaller machine has 32GB. It takes longer but I’ve been able to complete jobs on that machine as well. My bigger issue was learning the software because I’m new to using Linux as that’s the OS I chose to use on my processing machines. The forums and Piero have been a great resource to work through issues.

My primary focus is orthophotos so I’m not doing anything beyond that. Best of luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I also focus in orthophotos. So that’s the most important thing.
I hope that my workstation gets delivered in a few days🤔
I will report the results in detail in another thread then.

4 Likes