Workflow needed for capturing complex topography

Hello fellow users,

I’ve been looking and the new 3D versions of google earth/maps and wondered if with webodm, it is possible to achieve these kinds of results:

to go from a drone orthographic photo like:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 20.03.16
to a webodm processed picture like:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 20.03.33
and to get a result like:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 20.02.45

am I asking too much from the toolchain provided by webodm, or is it a job to be refined in the capturing of images using drones with 90º zenith photos combined with 45º angled photos for the rock walls?

Thanks in advanced for any ideas.

Carlos

1 Like

Yep, you’re going to need imagery at/near nadir, plus extra imagery to capture the sides. No way around physics :wink:

1 Like

Yes: the way Google/Google’s vendors captured these kind of models is through 90 and 45 degree images.

1 Like

It’s awesome that some places you can actually see up and inside caves and crevices …

1 Like

1608164716575blob 1608164716575blob

Seaside Webodm examples using drone imagery

3 Likes

That is beautiful! Where is that?

1 Like

Smather, Sorry about the double post. Its the Devil’s Punchbowl on the Oregon coast, a collapsed sea cave.
44.7470764, -124.06515
Flight was a crosshatch pattern with obliques around the perimeter. ODM does a great job modelling natural features.
Thanks to the ODM team for a great project.

4 Likes

High there! Awesome work. Can you share the workflow (how you programmed the drone flight) and cloudpoint?

2 Likes

I used my mavic pro w/12 mp camera. For mission control I used the drone deploy app. With a altitude of 280ft , 0.8" pixel size, 80 percent front and sidelap and oblique perimeter shots.142 photos in all. Only about 3 acres mapped. It was an overcast day ( with rough seas)a bit tricky avoiding persons below my flight. But I got it without problems. In retrospect I needed additional oblique photos around the cliffside. It would have been nice to get in the hole, but the tide was coming in.

Processed in Webodm on a windows machine. Options were 3 cm dem and 2 cm orthophoto. Output was 2 cm orthophoto, point cloud and obj model. Images in the post were grabbed from mesh lab.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. M

4 Likes

Thanks a bunch for the explanation. Just one doubt, was the camera always facing forward or was it facing a certain degree angle for the heading?

Carlos

The camera was forward facing the entire flight. From the photos it appears the camera was tilted forward 5-10 degrees from true nadir - but I dont know how to verify. M

3 Likes

Thats ok. you’ve been more than helpful. Going to give it a run …

1 Like