What's what and where to start

Hello!

I am completely new to both drones in general and mapping with drones.

I have no need for supper accurate maps and will be starting out with a Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have installed WebODM on my Mac via Docker and have created my first map.

What I’d like to know is, what are the differences between ODM and WebODM?
How about between the different methods of installation, Docker versus native?
And lastly, what are the differences between compiling myself and purchasing the precompiled installer?

I realize the install, compiling versus precompiled will be one of the major differences but are there differences between performance or options? I fully intend to purchase the precompiled version even though I already have WebODM running in Docker because I want to support the platform.

3 Likes

Welcome!

ODM is the processing engine.
WebODM is the graphical front-end to interact with ODM.
WebODM Lightning is a paid/hosted ODM+WebODM.

Docker is a containerization technology.
Native does not employ containerization.
Minimal overhead with Docker. More convenient.

Compilation is not for the faint of heart, especially if you’re not super familiar with development and creating a dev environment to compile within.
Potential slight performance gain if you optimize compiler flags for your specific hardware, but likely noting noticeable, and at great time/effort/frustration cost.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

So, are you saying there’s less overhead using WebODM via Docker?

With the Docker image, one issue I have run into several times is space although I have expanded the space allocated to Docker. The only way I have resolved the issue is to remove and recreate the WebODM container…

On the subject of space, how does WebODM handle space consumed by a project once the project has been completed? How can this space be released back to the system?

1 Like

No, the opposite. Native will have slightly less overhead (negligible).

Yes, docker does require some tuning of resource allocation.

You can pass a parameter to delete intermediate products when processing, or clear out older projects entirely.