WebODM start error on Mac error loading python lib

I purchased the WebODM installer for Mac and made sure I met all the requirements in the installation instructions. It appears to have installed okay, but when it tries to start up, I get an error that it can’t start. Here are the console messages:

Waiting for WebODM to start…
Press Start to launch WebODM
Starting WebODM…
[1592] Error loading Python lib ‘/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python’: dlopen: dlopen(/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python, 10): Symbol not found: _futimens
Referenced from: /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python
[1593] Error loading Python lib ‘/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python’: dlopen: dlopen(/Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python, 10): Symbol not found: _futimens
Referenced from: /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /Applications/Docker.app/Contents/Resources/bin/docker-compose/.Python

Hey @jencarta :hand: could you share the version of MacOS you are on?

Also, if you open a Terminal application and type:

docker --version
docker-compose --version

What is the output?

Thanks!

I should add, this looks like a bug that the docker team is aware of. Try uninstall the Docker application, then install the older version from https://download.docker.com/mac/stable/39773/Docker.dmg. At that point re-run the WebODM application.

I’m running MacOS Sierra (10.12.6) on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro. Old machine, I know!

Docker version 19.03.5, build 633a0ea
I got an error when typing docker-compose --version (same error as in my OP).

I don’t think I had Docker installed before running the WebODM installer, but I could be wrong. It has been a while since I used this laptop.

Uninstalling docker and installing the older version seems to have gotten me closer! Now, WebODM can’t find docker-compose. It’s in /usr/local/bin, which is in my path.

Press Start to launch WebODM
Starting WebODM…
/bin/bash: docker-compose: command not found

:+1: Mm, what if you create a symbolic link with:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/docker-compose /usr/bin/docker-compose

?

Thank you for your help. I was unable to create a symbolic link (I read that MacOS Sierra doesn’t allow changes to /usr/bin even as root). However, WebODM is running now! I had to enable root so I could change the password to use sudo because it kept giving me a wrong password error. I don’t know if this fixed it (??) or if it was rebooting my machine after trying to run the sudo command (I had rebooted before I got the “command not found” error).

2 Likes

Glad to hear!! Thanks for sharing the steps. :+1: