WebODM Installation issues - Installer used

Hey everyone,

I’ve been trying to install WebODM using the installer purchased from the website. I’m trying to run WebODM within a VM environment (but not the one created in docker) and wondered if this was why I was having problems. It’s a windows 10 64 bit system and I’ve downloaded the git and docker programmes, but can’t get docker to run in this environment either - though if I’ve understood the WebODM guide correctly by using the installer I should be able to bypass the docker?

Forgive my ignorance here but I’m very new to all this and just trying to understand why it does not seem to work from the install. The error message I get is that the node is offline and I don’t appear to be able to create an account to modify the settings for the node at all.

If anyone is able to help with this it would be very much appreciated.

All the best
J

2 Likes

Welcome!

Nested virtualization can certainly be tricky.

What is your Host Operating System? What Virtual Machine are you trying to run WebODM within?

If you downloaded the newest WebODM for Windows (native) installer, then yes, this no longer requires docker or any virtualization technology.

If you can, email hello@uav4geo.com with your order confirmation email/number (MYS-xxxxxxxxxx) and we can make sure you have the latest installer version if you don’t already.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry to post problems straight off!

Host Operating system is Windows 10 Enterprise.

The WebODM downloaded was the version 1.9.2 build 25.

1 Like

Not a problem! That sounds like it should have been the WebODM for Windows (native), so you would not need git nor docker to run alongside it.

I have not attempted to run it in a VM, however (though I can’t see why it wouldn’t run in one).

What Host Virtual Machine are you using? Windows Hyper-V?

Oh sorry yes hyper V.

Does it help you narrow things down by mentioning that it specifically gives the message node-odm-1 being offline and I can’t seem to add data for a user at all …

1 Like

I’m trying it locally with Windows Sandbox/WDAG (Hyper-V based) and am getting similar issues:

Allowing firewall entries;

Installing VC++ Redist:

Launching:

If I had to guess, it has something to do with how Hyper-V handles bridging the network adapters from the Host to the VM.

I think that if we can modify the listening address, we could get it to work, but I’m not sure how to do that at present.

Try editing C:\WebODM\resources\app\nodeodm.js and change the host from 127.0.0.1 to localhost or 0.0.0.0.

You will also need to change C:\WebODM\resources\app\main.js:135

await launchPythonEnv('python', ['manage.py', 'addnode', '127.0.0.1', '29301', '--label', 'node-odm-1', '--token', creds.nodeodm], webodmDir);

So that the Node gets properly added.

1 Like

Hi Iam running in vmware and installed on ubuntu. Install ubunto 20.04 in the normal way with the iso. Then look at my post on install on odm but you need loads of ram. The memory management is poor ( shame ) you need more then 64gig available to run any large amount of images.

Sorry just seen your running on hyper V not vmware.