Using your own dem to create the orthophotos

Id like to use a DTM I’ve created to make the ortho photos. Once the whole process is run I’ve edited the point cloud and created my own smoother DTM that id now like to use to create the orthophotos. sometimes the orthos that are created show a excessive amount of pixel stretching due to the DTM not being accurate. if i went back and reprocessed starting from the orthophoto is there somewhere in the project file structure I could insert my new edited point cloud or DTM to have it used in the ortho creation?

1 Like

You also have the option to make an orthophoto from the pointcloud using CloudCompare.

1 Like

Welcome!

Unfortunately, all products are derived from the PointCloud, so as Andreas noted, you’d be best served to modify the PointCloud.

Perhaps you might be better served in adjusting parameters or maybe changing the flight plan and capture methodologies to make it so you don’t experience undesirable reconstruction in the first place?

Can you tell us a little bit more about that?

I have tried the collection with several different methods including nadir and sever different angles of oblique imagery both with just a standard “mow the lawn pattern” as well as a grid collection. I have also without fail there will be some pixel stretching mostly in forested areas. My main hangup is I work doing wide area mapping using a fixed wing plane to collect imagery and lidar standard is to us the DTM to create the ortho photos. As for parameters in ODM I run almost all datasets on the ultra setting with most other on the default. Since it does run it on the point cloud could I just substitute the laz file with my edited one? from studying the console log it looks like I could put a new laz here "C:\WebODM\resources\app\apps\NodeODM\data\0a3894ff-3853-40b6-82a1-6a9782114c77\odm_georeferencing" as this looks to be where the orthophoto process is pulling the point cloud. Now if restart with my new laz file in that folder would it just read from there are does it create a new folder to process from?

1 Like

Correct, if you restart processing from after the PointCloud it should use your refined one for the rest of the work.

1 Like

awesome! thank you for the clarification. I would have tested it myself already but I have a large dataset processing and did not want to interrupt it for my workaround tests.

1 Like