Using link sharing NGROK

is there any tutorial on how to use NGROK? tried it but when I want to share my project it leads to sign in page on web odm. ofcourse I don’t want may client to log in on my account.

You have a couple of options. You can either create an account for them and limit the permissions so that they see exactly what you want them to see (this is what I do) or you can get the public link from the Dashboard, to the right hand side of the task you want to share, click View Map.
Then from the map view, bottom right corner, click share.

2 Likes

how do you create an account, thru webodm? tried the 2nd option but if I share it, they can not see the project.

how do you create an account, thru webodm? tried the 2nd option but if I share it, they can not see the project.

Before you can allow other users onto your instance of WebODM, you’ll have to have it open to the Internet. There are several ways to accomplish that, which is beyond the scope of how to add a user to WebODM and give the new user permission to view an existing project.

First, log into WebODM.

Expand the Administration menu on the left side of the screen and click Add User at the top right corner of the page.

Add your new user. Keep in mind that both the username and password are case sensitive. Click Save.

Next, under the Administration menu on the left side of the page, click on Application.

Under Application, click Change, to the right of Projects.

Click the Project you want to give the new user access to.

At the top right corner of the page, click on Object Permissions

In Object Permissions, add the new user you created by typing the user name into the User Identification field. Click the Manage user button.

Select the permissions you wish your new user to have. In my case, I only want the user to be able to view the project. Click the permission to add, then click the → button to add the permission to the user.

Of course, click save.

Next, let’s test everything by opening an Incognito instance of your browser. In the new Chromium version of Microsoft Edge, they call it InPrivate window, and Firefox calls it a Private Window. Or, you can just open an instance of a different web browser. The reason for this is that it will allow you to log onto the web site with the new credentials without having to log out from your primary browser.

Log in with your new account. Remember the user name and password are case sensitive.

Test that you can view the map as this new user:

A couple of notes and observations:

1. I had to set this up from scratch as I recently had to reinstall my instance. My previous settings were not saved.
  2. @pierotofy: Having only selected view permissions on the project, I could still create new projects as the new user. Also, I was able to see the options to cancel the current task that is currently running. This could be a bad thing. Have I missed something in my own setup?

For my purposes, I want to add view-only permissions. When the user logs in they should not be presented with any of the image 'd out options.

Also, it would be great to be able to change the Welcome message for each project.

3 Likes

If permissions are setup right, even though the buttons display, a user should get an error when they attempt to modify/create a project/task.

Yes we should technically hide those buttons when permissions are set to read only (we need to improve that).

The buttons on the left could be disabled by disabling the plugins from the Administration – Plugins menu (but that’s probably a workaround, not what you’re looking for). We could consider adding permissions for plugins.

3 Likes

Excellent writeup ! Do you mind if I pull the text and screenshots into the ODM docs (and credit you) ?

2 Likes

Ok great! I just didn’t want to test to see if hitting the cancel button on a 91+ hour job worked or not. :smiley:

2 Likes

Corey, please do. I’m not a programmer, so I’m happy to be able to contribute to the project.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic contribution. Thanks to @coreysnipes for offering to get it in too.

1 Like

this is great… by the way, will the client have to download webodm to open the account?

No, they just put your address in the address bar of a web browser.

You will have to open access to WebODM to the Internet from your internal network. Because there are so many thousands of different network firewalls or routers out there, it’s impossible to give directions for that. Instead you may need to look up your router model and look for port forwarding. By default WebODM uses the standard http port, 80. If you secure it and use https, you will need to open port 443.