Upcoming orthophoto improvements

After improving substantially the quality of point clouds and DSM/DTMs with the last releases, it’s been time to revisit orthophoto generation. :framed_picture:

Most distortion artifacts we notice in our orthophotos are due to too many views being assigned to a single area; this is especially evident at rooftop edges, where excessive views combined together often blend with small but noticeable differences. The sand key dataset is a perfect example.

I’ve been researching a new view selection algorithm for texturing today and got some really promising results:

anim

anim2

And several others. :boom:

Many match or surpass in quality other very famous expensive software. Stay tuned…

6 Likes

Just… Wow.

Incredible!

1 Like

Keep on Pietro!

2 Likes

Ready for testing! https://github.com/OpenDroneMap/ODM/pull/1201

Would love some feedback before I merge… every single dataset I’ve processed has shown improvements in visual quality, but perhaps you have a dataset that shows regressions.

Particularly curious to see aukerman since we have good comparisons from the UAVArena.

3 Likes

I’ll test this afternoon.

2 Likes

I will do some more testing this weekend. This upgrade is awesome!

When will this upgrade impact WebODM Lightning?

1 Like

Likely next week, as soon as we’ve run some tests to guarantee stability and output correctness.

2 Likes

That’s good news!

Thank you

1 Like

Upgrade completed!

4 Likes

Hi all, I’m new to odm.
Just to comfirm that, the upgrade on odm is applicabe to webodm right?
I just need to ./webodm.sh update right? Cant wait to try it out.

1 Like

Correct!

3 Likes

If anyone wants to process aukerman before I get to it… I’d love to see how it compares!

2 Likes