Time Lapse by Novel Use of Orthophotos

I’m recording regular updates of a Miracle Park project and have previously included mapping jpgs in the data storehouse here in ODM described as having a rich set of features. I started recording mapping flights about 3 months into the project for a notion about making a time lapse out of the orthomosaic photos. It’s a tedious process, and the construction work has been all earthworks and undergrounds until now, so the changes are a little boring. But the end result is interesting. Thought you might like to view it.

The 60-second video clip is made from 9 orthophotos. The easiest way to view it is from my web site at the link below. If anyone wants the file, I’ll put it up on Dropbox for download. It’s the video at the top of the page: https://hawk-i.us/special-projects

Regards… Bob R.

7 Likes

Very cool!

Awesom. I’m also doing progression imagery for an elementary school that’s being built in the next town over. The construction is slated for at least a year, if it stays on schedule and I’m out there every weeked.
imawant to find a way to make a slider affect so that the viewer can see the prevous week’s imagery and the current week’s imagery then slide left and right to visualize the difference.

1 Like

Very nice, Bob!

If I might make a suggestion… speed up the transitions between photos so transitions happen faster, and so there’s more “still” time with each shot. By the time my brain has oriented to the new photo and started looking at the details, it’s shifting to the next photo. Really good stuff, though. It’s a powerful way to see the progression. What are you using for flight planning these days?

1 Like

Thanks for the boost Coreysnipes :smiley: All of the mapping flights were done with Map Pilot by Maps Made Easy. Once you get accustomed to the otherwise cryptic symbols for pull-out screens, it’s an excellent program. This is a fairly flat site, and it no longer has the elevations that would be found on-line, so I’m not using the terrain following feature. One of my early mapping flights I used a double grid because I was worried about resolution, then found that setting the processing pipeline to Hi Res did a fine job without the extra pass.

After I decided to do this orthophoto time lapse, I went back and reprocessed all the jpgs with same settings through ODM (not all were processed in ODM initially) so I’d have them as similar as possible. You can tell that some were at different times of day. If I had to do it again, I’d update more often and try to hit similar times of day.

1 Like

I don’t really understand the suggestion 'cause there’re only two transitions in the whole video clip, and both are at the beginning. The first transition goes from the opening “Miracle Park” signage to the architect’s rendering, and the 2nd is going from the architect’s rendering to the Google Earth satellite photo. Everything else just moves from one image into the next with no transition at all. Was it one of those two transitions that you’re talking about?

Ah, sorry - those video transitions are fine. I was thinking about the changing from one photo to the next when I wrote that comment… if you could show Photo 1, wait five seconds, then blend from Photo 1 to Photo 2 fairly quickly (1 second?), then wait another five seconds showing only Photo 2, etc. I’m not sure that’s the ideal timing, but that’s the general idea.

I second Map Pilot. It’s my go to app for mapping, however if you’re going to be serious about it, there is no single best application to use.

I use Map Pilot mostly, but there’s occasion where Pix4D Capture is the better tool (still to this moment the only app that I know of that has a free flight mode which is what you need if you’ll be making 3D models of buildings, etc.), DroneDeploy is a pretty easy app to use, but also Litchi and DJI Go 4 (if you’re using DJI.) The awesome thing is that for the most part everything from WebODM, Metashape, Pix4D, and others are agnostic when it comes to data collection. Find the one that’s most comfortable for what you plan to do and learn it well.

3 Likes