Space in ODM Install Path

Hi all,

I stumble on a new problem today. ODM was not working on one of my colleague computer. After investigation it is because the install path of ODM contains a space. We can not change the install path of ODM and I have found that the issue is already reported on github :

I looked at the win32env.bat script and know that there will be several thing to change in order to make it work. My question is the following, do you think that fixing this script only will do it or will it be a never ending fix leading me to explore the python files ?

Thank you

1 Like

I managed to correct various files, win32.bat, opendm/osfm.py and stages/openmvs.py

All seems to process correctly and I can retrieve the output files until it crashed during report generation because it can not find the proj.db.

ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create_from_database: Cannot find proj.db

I do not understand why it can not found proj.db during report phase whereas it found it during the rest of the computations.

set PROJ_LIB="%GDALBASE%\data\proj"

Any idea or help ?

1 Like

Maybe how you’re escaping the path is not working properly for the last example when expanding the path variable?

Can you post the full error message / stack trace?

Also, interested in opening a pull request on GitHub to help us fix this for everyone? :pray:

1 Like

Hi,
Here is a more complete log :

[INFO]    Running odm_report stage
[INFO]    Exporting shots.geojson
ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create: unrecognized format / unknown name
ERROR 6: Cannot find coordinate operations from `' to `'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\\run.py", line 53, in <module>
    retcode = app.execute()
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\stages\odm_app.py", line 130, in execute
    raise e
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\stages\odm_app.py", line 94, in execute
    self.first_stage.run()
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\types.py", line 346, in run
    self.next_stage.run(outputs)
  [Previous line repeated 8 more times]
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\types.py", line 327, in run
    self.process(self.args, outputs)
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\stages\odm_report.py", line 55, in process
    shots = get_geojson_shots_from_opensfm(tree.opensfm_reconstruction, pseudo_geotiff=tree.odm_orthophoto_tif)
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\shots.py", line 75, in get_geojson_shots_from_opensfm
    trans_coords = crstrans.TransformPoint(utm_coords[0], utm_coords[1], utm_coords[2])
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\venv\lib\site-packages\osgeo\osr.py", line 1088, in TransformPoint
    return _osr.CoordinateTransformation_TransformPoint(self, *args)
NotImplementedError: Wrong number or type of arguments for overloaded function 'CoordinateTransformation_TransformPoint'.
  Possible C/C++ prototypes are:
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [3])
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [4])
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [3],double,double,double)
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [4],double,double,double,double)

Of course once it seems fix for me I will have a look at the rules for pull request and share with everyone

1 Like

So strange. This error ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create_from_database: Cannot find proj.db only gets shown at the report stage?

I can’t think of a reason why PROJ would be complaining, since we set PROJ_LIB before launching the python process that runs the report code…

Are you running your tests with the --rerun-all flag?

1 Like

I am totally not re-running with the “–rerun-all” flag. I will try and give you more info tomorrow.

2 Likes

Ok, this makes no sense to me neither but I can confirm that I obtain the same error log by both using the --re-run flag or by deleting the content of the folder.

1 Like

Ok, I have found that it was a case specific.

Without gps data in picture it process to the repport stage but if there is gps data it crashes with the same type of error log during the run_opensfm stage. I will work on this and let you now as I progess.

[INFO]    Altitude data detected, enabling it for GPS alignment
[INFO]    ['use_exif_size: no', 'flann_algorithm: KDTREE', 'feature_process_size: 2304', 'feature_min_frames: 8000', 'processes: 8', 'matching_gps_neighbors: 8', 'matching_gps_distance: 0', 'optimize_camera_parameters: yes', 'undistorted_image_format: tif', 'bundle_outlier_filtering_type: AUTO', 'sift_peak_threshold: 0.066', 'align_orientation_prior: vertical', 'triangulation_type: ROBUST', 'retriangulation_ratio: 2', 'matcher_type: FLANN', 'feature_type: SIFT', 'use_altitude_tag: yes', 'align_method: auto', 'local_bundle_radius: 0']
ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create: unrecognized format / unknown name
ERROR 6: Cannot find coordinate operations from `' to `'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\\run.py", line 53, in <module>
    retcode = app.execute()
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\stages\odm_app.py", line 130, in execute
    raise e
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\stages\odm_app.py", line 94, in execute
    self.first_stage.run()
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\types.py", line 327, in run
    self.process(self.args, outputs)
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\stages\run_opensfm.py", line 32, in process
    octx.setup(args, tree.dataset_raw, reconstruction=reconstruction, rerun=self.rerun())
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\osfm.py", line 271, in setup
    self.write_reference_lla(reconstruction.georef.utm_east_offset, reconstruction.georef.utm_north_offset, reconstruction.georef.proj4())
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\osfm.py", line 450, in write_reference_lla
    lon, lat = location.transform2(CRS.from_proj4(proj4), longlat, offset_x, offset_y)
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\opendm\location.py", line 60, in transform2
    return transformer(from_srs, to_srs).TransformPoint(x, y, 0)[:2]
  File "C:\space folder\ODM\venv\lib\site-packages\osgeo\osr.py", line 1091, in TransformPoint
    return _osr.CoordinateTransformation_TransformPoint(self, *args)
NotImplementedError: Wrong number or type of arguments for overloaded function 'CoordinateTransformation_TransformPoint'.
  Possible C/C++ prototypes are:
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [3])
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [4])
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [3],double,double,double)
    OSRCoordinateTransformationShadow::TransformPoint(double [4],double,double,double,double)
1 Like

Yes the error is definitely PROJ related.

PROJ_LIB controls the path to the proj.db database.

For some reason, it doesn’t like spaces in its current form.

1 Like

Yes here is my current knowledge :

• PROJ_LIB we set in win32_env.bat is not necessarily the one use by _VALIDATED_PROJ_DATA in datadir.py. In my case it is the internal_datadir that is used and whose value is : ODM\venv\lib\site-packages\pyproj\proj_dir\share\proj
  • I have test setting PROJ_LIB with surrounding quotes which led to the previous error log.
  • Strangely without surrounding quotes in PROJ_LIB it seems to work both for georeferenced pictures and not georeferenced pictures.

Everything seems to work it my test cases. I have made a pull request :

Please can someone test it on his side ?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.