Skip processing Orthophoto

Hi

I would like to use WebODM for 3D close range desktop photogrammetry, but quite often the processing gets stuck at the “Running odm_orthophoto stage”. Since my goal is te create 3D printable models, the orthophoto is not really necessary for my use case. Is it possible to make WebODM step over this stage?

Thanks for any inputs

1 Like

Currently not, but I’ve opened Add --skip-orthophoto · Issue #1375 · OpenDroneMap/ODM · GitHub to keep track of this (it’s a good idea!)

1 Like

Thanks Piero. I just saw in the processing node JSON there is a list of tasks. Can I not remove the “odm_orthophoto” entries? I am not sure if it is a good idea, I seem to spend my life using tools outside of their design spec.

1 Like

A workaround in the meantime might be to set the orthophoto resolution to a large value (say 20) and set ignore-gsd to force it to run the orthophoto at a really low resolution.

1 Like

I love your hacks/work-arounds. Such great ways to (ab)use the toolset to bend to your will! haha.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had to use this hack. I should make a list of my hacks, but even I don’t know what my all my hacks are… :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, one addition to this: it is probably best run it without the ignore-gsd flag, kill it at the orthophoto stage, then add the flag and rerun from orthophoto.

1 Like

@smathermather. Thank you the hack you proposed worked like a charm. I even left the server to run with the ignore-gsd flag checked. I am happy now, thanks. It used to run into 200GB or memory making orthophotos, until it crashed.

2 Likes

Maybe Colmap or Meshroom could be a better fit.
No ortophotos, just pointcloud and maybe a mesh.

Awesome! I thought that might fix it for you. I run into this often in interferenced datasets, where I’m just generating a 3D model.

Yup! Both awesome tools.

1 Like

Hi Andreas, maybe you’re right. I am getting the ‘oh uh, strange results’ message too often for comfort. My ‘problem’ is that my servers do not have CUDA-capable cards, and that is an investment I am loathe to make for my hobby purposes. Anyway, thanks for your input, I will give COLMAP a shot if I can get ot to run on Ubunto Server 20. Speed is not my main concern, so if it will forgive the CUDA-absnce I may get lucky…

to