Sfm-algorithm: triangulation

My drone image contain data for pitch/yaw/roll for both drone and gimbal besides the gps data.

Is that enuf to use “triangulation”?

3 Likes

Looks like that’s all that’s needed!

2 Likes

I did only se lines about phi/gamma/kapa not the same as in the exif. Did I miss something

If your data is different and it doesn’t process properly, we might need to open an Issue or PR to get that style of EXIF supported.

2 Likes

For now, only DJI Yaw/Pitch/Roll tags are supported in ODM :

They also going to be supported natively in OpenSfM :

FYI, using triangulation algorithm results in 2x speed-up for the reconstruction part.

There’s also feature matching that can use angles, by setting all matching_XXX options to 0 and set matching_graph_rounds: 50. Should also work without angles if the camera is moderately tilted (0 < tilt < 30 degrees)

4 Likes

Is it useful for a consumer drone or is it more for a rtk-drone?

Tested on very high-end manned capture (similar to Ultracam) and also on a DJI Phantom 4.

1 Like

I have Mavic 2 Pro, I’m running a small test now.

The process completed but the result is horrible.
Might be that triangulation isn’t working for Mavic2Pro.

Images to share ?

1 Like

Hello!

I have obtained similarly poor results using smf triangulation with Mavic 2 Pro images. For a comparison of incremental versus triangulation smf algorithms please see https://community.opendronemap.org/t/geolocation-files-versus-exif-and-omega-phi-kappa-versus-pitch-roll-yaw/9905/4 and https://app.box.com/s/6kngeyemqv02c2ytt5ydmuiv1o4co4rz

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

The result I got wasn’t usable at all.

Could you share more original images ? There’s only one in the Box folder.

1 Like

It´s a small set, about 3 hours for computation.

My settings:
[{“name”: “auto-boundary”, “value”: true}, {“name”: “build-overviews”, “value”: true}, {“name”: “crop”, “value”: “3”}, {“name”: “debug”, “value”: true}, {“name”: “dem-resolution”, “value”: “2”}, {“name”: “dsm”, “value”: true}, {“name”: “feature-quality”, “value”: “ultra”}, {“name”: “feature-type”, “value”: “orb”}, {“name”: “gps-accuracy”, “value”: “10”}, {“name”: “matcher-neighbors”, “value”: “38”}, {“name”: “min-num-features”, “value”: “24000”}, {“name”: “orthophoto-resolution”, “value”: “2”}, {“name”: “pc-filter”, “value”: “5”}, {“name”: “pc-geometric”, “value”: true}, {“name”: “pc-quality”, “value”: “ultra”}, {“name”: “pc-sample”, “value”: “0,02”}, {“name”: “resize-to”, “value”: “-1”}, {“name”: “sfm-algorithm”, “value”: “triangulation”}, {“name”: “texturing-tone-mapping”, “value”: “gamma”}, {“name”: “use-hybrid-bundle-adjustment”, “value”: true}, {“name”: “verbose”, “value”: true}]

3 Likes

There’s clearly a conversion issue between the Mavic YPR → OPK that we didn’t have when trying with Phantom 4 data.

Summoning @pierotofy here.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have uploaded 12 additional images in images.zip to the same Box folder.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else at this stage.

3 Likes

Make an announcement when you figured it out so we can try it.

1 Like

Based on my observations, it seems that DJI products do not have consistent conventions when it comes to yaw values. Yesterday for example I noticed that my Mavic Mini uses a different value to indicate north compared to a dataset I captured with a Phantom 3 Adv.

This will require sample datasets and a database to get the correct orientation for all models right. Ugh… DJI…

2 Likes

Starting a repository to collect sample images here: DJI OPK - Google Drive

If you have a DJI drone, please help?

3 Likes

Good idea @pierotofy. The conventions may be different for any and all 3 YPR angles.

Looking at the comments in your code at https://github.com/mapillary/OpenSfM/pull/838/files the following occurs to me.

# YPR conventions (assuming nadir camera)
            # Yaw: 0 --> top of image points north
            # Yaw: 90 --> top of image points east
            # Yaw: 270 --> top of image points west
            # Pitch: 0 --> nadir camera**
            # Pitch: 90 --> camera is looking forward
            # Roll: 0 (assuming gimbal)

For the Mavic 2 Pro, Pitch 0 is a forward facing camera, Pitch -90 is a nadir camera. For example:

Gimbal Pitch Degree             : -85.30

is the EXIF entry for my images taken with a pitch 5 degrees off nadir.

2 Likes