--rerun-from

I have a burning question. For a while now, if I re-run a job, and choose anything as a --rerun-from parameter in WebODM, it re-runs from dataset. I thought maybe this was due to the project expiring on the node or similar, but I am seeing it even with jobs that have just finished. Now, I tend to run my WebODM instances with --default-nodes 0 because sometimes I’m adding a cluster, sometimes I’m swapping nodes around, and it just gives me the flexibility I want with managing NodeODM independently from WebODM.

./webodm.sh down && ./webodm.sh update && ./webodm.sh restart --default-nodes 0

So, is it because I do this that I can’t use --rerun-from successfully, or is it a regression? I’d love to skip the SfM portion of certain long-running processes, but rerun downstream portions at times, but that workflow is broken for me at the moment.

1 Like

Mm, strange.

Typically it will rerun from dataset if the dataset has been purged from the NodeODM node (which by default happens every 2 days, so plenty of time).

ClusterODM doesn’t even know rerun-from is a thing, so I’d exclude that.

Does rerun-from dataset show up in the WebODM dashboard (not in the task log) when you press “Restart”?

When I check the options, I get something like:
Options: camera-lens: brown, dem-resolution: 1, dsm: true, dtm: true, feature-type: hahog, gps-accuracy: 20, matcher-neighbors: 40, mesh-octree-depth: 11, mesh-size: 300000, pc-quality: ultra, rerun-from: odm_dem, resize-to: -1, smrf-threshold: 0.5, smrf-window: 800, texturing-data-term: area

And then when I actually hit the Restart button, I get:
Options: camera-lens: brown, dem-resolution: 1, dsm: true, dtm: true, feature-type: hahog, gps-accuracy: 20, matcher-neighbors: 40, mesh-octree-depth: 11, mesh-size: 300000, pc-quality: ultra, resize-to: -1, smrf-threshold: 0.5, smrf-window: 800, texturing-data-term: area

Although, I will double check in the morning: it may have been two days since I ran this one.

Ah, perhaps this is a bit confusing, but you need to press the down-caret button next to “Restart” (is there one?) and press “Restart → From DEM”.

Pressing Restart will assume you want to restart from the beginning. Perhaps this should be changed to check if a rerun-from parameter is already set and not override it.

2 Likes

Ahhh! Well, that’s life-changing. It is perhaps a little counterintuitive that the button overrides the settings, but I get it.

2 Likes

Great info. Makes it a lot clearer. I fell into the same trap by clicking the “restart” button in webODM thinking it would run the rerun-from parameter.

As a follow up though, I’ve had my process fail during the OpenMVS stage and I can’t seem to find a way to restart it from there. The only drop-down option in webODM is to restart from “From Structure From Motion / MVS”, which restarts it from the SfM stage.

Is there any way to restart the process at the MVS stage?

Appreciate all the hard work from both of you!

1 Like

There’s not, but we should add it (along with improving the Restart button).

I’ve opened [Improvement] Add rerun-from OpenMVS and improve restart UI · Issue #957 · OpenDroneMap/WebODM · GitHub to keep track of this.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.