Pony Show

I will confess, I knew after A Mighty Wind (which was easy enough to confuse with the Bob Dylan documentary that came out soon after) and the 2/3rds of This is Spinal Tap that I got through, that Best in Show probably wasn’t going to be the movie for me. Nevertheless, I feel obliged to include (ir)relevant gifs.

best_in_show

Let’s show off some models! First one: not mine. This is via Federico Debetto of Old Fort and the Sultan’s Palace in Zanzibar. He processed it in something proprietary but was kind enough to loan me the data to reprocess in ODM and it turned out super nice:
ezgif-2-a8a2006112

5 Likes

Next: Me!

golden_girls_beauty

With the danger of looking vain, I dug out this self portrait in point cloud I did (which I tried to make an official photo with some important non-governmental agency – they weren’t having it and said it wasn’t formal enough):

me_smol

Side note: I am rather pleased that my LinkedIn profile is now entirely point clouds:

BTW, the reason I bring this up, is it would be trivial to build a people scanner with OpenDroneMap. This is just derived from shoddy video quickly grabbed from around my head. Using OpenDroneMap and Libre360, one could easily build a really good people scanner, or dog scanner… .

4 Likes

LOL, why haven’t I thought of this before! Cool!

3 Likes

OpenStreetMap Uganda has knocked it out of the park with this project, documenting a landslide in the Virungas / Birungas in far western Uganda, in conjunction with the Office of the Prime Minister.

Some breathtaking detail especially in the surface model:

More to come on point cloud filtering and DTM extraction with this as one of the examples.

5 Likes

Mohammed Maisha has been working on a digital twin / digital tours project in Stone Town, Zanzibar using street level photography. This project is a Foundation Botnar funded Open Skies Fellows: African Tech for African Data. The results are nothing short of spectacular.
stone_town_maishahttps://www.hotosm.org/updates/omdtz-launches-fellowship-program-focusing-on-emerging-technology/

3 Likes

Lol.

1 Like

One of my favorite things is objects so well reconstructed that it is difficult to distinguish their meshes from a photograph. This (skunk?) skull matches that description:

Peek 2022-02-17 00-25

4 Likes

That’s all really great, nice to see ho. The thing with the people Scanner is just expensive. Maybe some cheap 20 bucks 4K Kameras can do it

1 Like

For sure: but a handful of high quality pi cams synchronised via a network while not cheap, means you could have a $1000 (or so) scanner. If you don’t need all those pixels, you could probably easily get that down below $500.

1 Like

I think you are totally right. Would be in any case cheaper than the Mavic 3.

1 Like

You could build it with global shutter cameras for less than a Mavic 3. :joy:

1 Like

I checked this and you are absolut right. Even with additional ir it is cheaper.

2 Likes

Took a few pics with my phone for this point cloud

3 Likes

that thing with odm360 is really nice, i will think about building a human scanner with it, and if possible a 3d indoor scanner. Just need to read more documentations

1 Like

Snuggliest “point cloud” I’ve seen in a while.

2 Likes

Awesome! If you need help, feel free to reach out.

2 Likes

I appreciate your help. I will let you know

1 Like

Out of curiosity, would an iPad or iPhone with LiDAR capability be an acceptable substitute? There are a bunch of apps where companies take videos composed by users who map rooms and convert those into CAD documents for hundreds of dollars. There’s got to be a way to get ODM to generate useful output from that data, right?

1 Like

I used an iPhone 12 Pro max and I am using an iPhone 13 Pro Max now. You will have problems with small objects, glass, mirrors, windows and objects at a distance more than 5 meters away from the sensor. It really depends on the things you want to do. Also, the system is only as good as the app is and most apps have problems with for example big buildings. The App will start shifting stuff and will probably ruin your result if you have magnetic interference or dark places. I used “3d Scanner App” and I am not really satisfied. But that is just my experience with this specific app. I guess there are also really great apps and I hope Apple will create a better Sensor for Lightning. The one on the backside does not work in the dark :frowning:

If you are interested i can upload a set of Lidar work the next days. The same model created with different apps.

2 Likes

The app I tried was “Canvas”, and the expensive part appears to be the manual conversion. The structures I attempted to record (a log home and a barn) were challenging due to the shapes and textures, so I don’t know how fair a test it was. :slight_smile: I will give that other app a try, and I’m definitely interested if you can post an example and the workflows you used with the different apps!

1 Like