Phantom 4 Photo Request [ Rolling Shutter ]

It would be really interesting if somebody was able to test the arduino case on a drone for which values have been published, as it was significantly easier to setup than the rotating wheel method.

DJI Phantom 2	74
DJI Phantom 3	33
DJI Phantom 4	33
DJI Inspire 1 – FC330 30	30
DJI Inspire 1 – FC350 33	33
DJI Inspire 1 – X5	47
3DR Solo	30
GoPro Hero 4 Black	30
3 Likes

I’ve got a P4 and an arduino on the way. Not sure where my existing one went. I can run the P4 over the weekend.

5 Likes

mavic 2 pro

1/8000

I was able to count 55 lines.

Note the barrel distortion near the edges

4 Likes

It’ll take me a bit, but I’ll try to source an arduino. I’ve had no luck with any of my screens here.

1 Like

mavic 2 mini

1/8000

26 lines

3 Likes

I counted 53 lines on your image, adjusting the image makes them easier to see.

Quite a bit of pincushion distortion with the M2P camera, I included the partial lines at top and bottom edges.

d3500ac4f827983175968774111a6a1a33ec7a60_2_517x345

5 Likes

Just bought this:

Apparently Arduino IDE compatible and has an in-built LED. Hopefully this is sufficient for testing haha.

1 Like

That poses an interesting question… When do we count a line? 50% of the width of the screen or more? Being present/visible at all?

1 Like

I can offer pictures with this drones with the arduino thingy (tried with the monitor, no avail):
DJI Air2s
DJI Mini 2
DJI Phantom 4 Pro
Autel Evo II Pro RTK
Interested?

4 Likes

Yes please!

2 Likes

I’m getting 32ms for P4:

I confirmed the same numbers running at 250 and 500ms just to make sure I wasn’t off on line count.

I’m guessing 32ms is within spec of the published 33ms and probably not a measurement error, especially as arduinos run a real-time OS, but it certainly validates the method either way.

Edit: it could also be a sensor crop issue. This seems most likely.

5 Likes

Well, this is really good news! Thanks for testing this out.

Now there’s two more things to do to make this perfect for crowdfunding:

1. A site where to upload the test image to extract exact camera make/model (maybe even perform the line counting automatically or automatically open a pull request).
  2. Find the cheapest / most straightforward device that can blink like the arduino. An ideal device might just be a tiny USB stick that you can plug on your computer for power and blinks at the specified rate, without needing extra components or uploading firmware code.
3 Likes

Maybe relevant if there isn’t something already out there:

Also this: https://upverter.seeedstudio.com/

1 Like

Designing a custom PCB might be a cool project; at that point you wouldn’t even need an arduino, just a 555 timer, USB type-A connector, an LED, some resistors and a capacitor. https://www.kicad.org/

2 Likes

Yeah, built those before. 555 is pretty temperature sensitive (or was for my application which was flying on a balloon, triggering a camera). Would we have to worry about timing differences with it?

1 Like

Maybe if you’re Adam Steer this could be a concern :smile: I would expect most folks could use this within normal temperature ranges.

5 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

This would make an excellent nerdy fundraiser for ODM. Figuring out a decent kit price and assembled price, then putting a small markup to contribute to the project, would be a clever way for folks to help out and at least try to calibrate their cameras. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If my Raspberry Pi Pico works out, then that’s about $7 ($11 in the cool case I got) and Arduino IDE-compatible… Or maybe I can just pre-flash a ton of these so they are ready to run for folks that want/need them from us?

1 Like

Thanks Steven. Is this P4 or P4P ?

1 Like