PC Specification for WebODM

Hi.

We are new to WebODM. We have been testing with our laptop computers but we are looking to buy a dedicated computer to work through our photos independently rather than using the laptop resource. I am hoping for some advice on a laptop spec and confirmation if the application relies on just CPU and RAM or if the GPU plays a part? Some tests we have been running is for around 300 images at a resolution of 4056x2280.

Hoping a dedicated PC will not cost the earth and I am hoping it is just a matter of a fast multi-core processor and a large amount of RAM.

Any thoughts and guidance appreciated.

Dan Hargrove
New User.

For my experience, webOdm need more RAM than a high CPU. Also a good SSD but not too small.

2 Likes

The GPU is used in some parts of the process, but depending on image count I found it only made ~10% difference in processing time. One thing to be aware of is that a laptop GPU with 4GB cannot cope with 5472×3648 20MP images from a mavic 2 pro at feature quality ultra and reverts to CPU processing anyway. Other software makes more use of the GPU though.

The spec you get will be dictated very much by your budget.

For example, I have a dell xps 15, i7-11800h processor, 32GB RAM, RTX 3050Ti GPU, 1TB NVMe SSD. 300 images takes anywhere from one to two hours, depending on settings (not on ultra). 700 images took 6hrs (again not using ultra).

A desktop will be better than a laptop, unless you need it to be portable obviously. You’ll never complain about having too much RAM or a good fast SSD. I’d go for the best CPU you can, and not worry so much about the GPU, however a GPU also helps with viewing your models etc afterwards.

There are also performance differences between running the native windows version and the docker version apparently. The docker version seems to be better at using more % of processor.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing! There’s a Benchmarking section on here that you can look at and submit to as well.

2 Likes

Hi AMWPhotos.

This description is exactly what I was looking for and has helped me spec the correct PC. Many thanks for taking the time to reply with such detail to my post. It is very much appreciated.

Dan

1 Like