Offline Viewing

Is there a way to download and view the 2D and 3D maps for offline viewing? I know I can download the files, but I don’t know of a way to be able to view the files.

And perhaps a way to host the files on a static web site.

1 Like

Here are a couple options that might work for you.

3 Likes

Another option for offline/local viewing would be CloudCompare and MeshLab, and/or QGIS.

2 Likes

There are different types of data in a project:

- 3D model under odm_texturing/odm_textured_model_geo.obj
Meshlab does a fantastic job. Blender can also handle such files. If you are on Linux I also enjoyed CTMViewer for using little resources and being fast, but you have to start it from the terminal.

- Orthophoto
QGIS does a fantastic job displaying it, but is complicated. Gimp and Photoshop can open GeoTIFF, but depending on the project size, you need a lot of RAM. (4GB tiff file around 20 Gbyte of memory).

Not straight forward, but the best way I found for displaying orthophotos offline on different machines, also mobile phones with limited resources is using gdal2tiles.py from the GDAL toolset and let it make a tiled map. That will produce a HTML file that you can just open (no webserver, php etc. needed) and it looks like Google Maps Satellite.

Probably the easiest, if you just want to look at the orthophoto is GIMP or Photoshop and QGIS. Just drag and drop it on the interface and it will display right away.

Gdal2tiles.py is your friend :cowboy_hat_face:
It uses leaflet to display the map. Functions on any browser and I am hosting a ton of maps generated by gdal2tiles.py . Offline by just double clicking the HTML file and Online by uploading the html file and map folder to a webserver.

2 Likes

RGB. Multispectral or other bitdepths they can get weird with. Most image editing programs also don’t respect the Geolocation metadata, so tread carefully! (Paint.NET on Windows does respect that metadata, however)

2 Likes

GIMP from version 2.10.24 on does fine with geolocation metadata:

2 Likes

Yooo! That’s awesome. Thank you for updating me :smiley:

I (ab)used GIMP/Glimpse to fixup ancient scans of tax/cadastral maps and losing the georeferencing was an absolute nightmare to deal with.

This is much, much nicer :slight_smile:

2 Likes