ODM on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Hello
I am currently using Ububtu and have a problem get the docker installed. I have followed the recipe on;

docs.opendronemap.org/installation/#install-on-ubuntu-debian

and

download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu

The last one here I manage too install what seam to bee docker but there are a long list with; artful, bionic, cosmic, disco and so on. Chose your linux system i says in the description. My system is Ubuntu LTS and I could not se anything in my system with those name so I chose cosmic for install.

Anyway something got installed but no icon or that I can use the webODM.

Is there an way of get an understanding of this and get it up and running on my system?

Best regard

Gunnar

1 Like

Welcome!

I think you chose a highly incompatible version, hence the issue.

Try issuing lsb_release -a on the terminal. It should show Focal Fossa for 20.04

thanks now I now what to download :smiley:
My system is focal so that is the one I am going to download :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello there are several packages and I downloade and install this two:

docker-scan-plugin_0.8.0~ubuntu-focal_amd64.deb
docker-ce-cli_20.10.8~3-0~ubuntu-focal_amd64.deb

The other two dosent innstall:
containerd.io_1.4.9-1_amd64.deb
docker-ce_20.10.8~3-0~ubuntu-focal_amd64.deb

Do I need all of them to get Docker up and run?

May I ask why you aren’t getting them from your (Ubuntu’s) package repositories? Things can get really weird when you’re just mixing and matching deb packages, and dependency resolution gets really hard.

I found ODM on the application store and installed it from there. No icons appear but I got QT designer instead. ODM I dont find trace of just that I can remove it.

So I tried this commands from the ODM documetsite installation install-on-ubuntu-debian.

$ sudo apt update
$ curl -fsSL get docker com -o get-docker.sh
$ sh get-docker.sh
$ sudo apt install -y git python python-pip

After typing sudo apt update I get this:
E: The repository ‘cdrom://Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS Focal Fossa - Release amd64 (20210209.1) focal Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a depot cannot be done safely, and is therefore cut off by default.
N: See the manual page apt-secure(8) for details on creating custodians and user setup.
W: GPG-error: download docker com linux/ubuntu focal InRelease: The following signatures could not be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7EA0A9C3F273FCD8
E: The repository download docker com/linux/ubuntu focal InRelease’ is not signed.
N: Updating from such a depot cannot be done safely, and is therefore cut off by default.
N: See the manual page apt-secure(8) for details on creating custodians and user setup.

When typing sudo apt install -y git python python-pip a get this answer:
Note, select “python-is-python2” instead of “python” The python beep package is not available, but another package refers to it. This may mean that the packet is missing, expired, or exists only available from another source. However, the following packages replace it: python3 beep E: The “python-pip” package has no installation candidate

So then I went to the docker site: engine install ubuntu
and I followed the first recipy but did not work so I went for the manual way… now it is just a mess… :expressionless:

It looks like your installation might be a bit messed up.

You should probably disable your local CDROM installation repository since I doubt you installed from a CDROM and still have it mounted on the machine.

Docker should 100% be available in the default Ubuntu repositories, which are absolutely signed and have proper Release files.

OK thanks I was also wondering why it is mentioning cdrom when I do not have a cdrom. Well think I need to leave this project for a while because it is full chaos in my head :crazy_face: , so need a break, but I will look at disable my CDROM…after an break :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The reason for my intrest in ODM is that next year to the summer I will by a drone an go for an long trip in the mountain. It s an plateau lays abote 1700 meter over the sea, but in the middle it lays aboute 1500 meter. Up there take a long trip with 4x drive and the the rest by foot take one day of walking. We stay there for a week to make dronephotegrammetry over maybe something of archaeology findings. Still this is just on own initiative more or less like an hobby.

And thanks again I tell you when I get the docker to work :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds like a great time!

Yes, I would try to work from a known-good working install of Ubuntu, and get simple things like Docker working first before you dive into setting up OpenDroneMap under Docker.

1 Like

Hello
I am back again and since last time I disabled the CROM and docker is installed just there are something I should set up. This is SSL and I downloaded it from this site: https://www.libressl.org/
but it is quite a bit her to learn and I don’t know what is for.

The last thing I now need for my docker is actely my username but I don’t remember creating one.
I found this code: sudo usermod -aG docker [user]
It is one of the last thing + SSL I guess and it will bee up and go.

When it come to the SSL there are a lot of alternatives and I just want a simple so I downloaded files from the link but just how to set it up is difficult when reading the document :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know some trick here because I am little-bit lost here :slight_smile:

Best regard

Gunnar

Gunnar,

you should not be adding software from outside the Ubuntu APT repositories. Please add SSL the proper way.

As for your username, you can find out by typing whoami and pressing enter in the Terminal.

Thanks then I figure out the proper way of setting up SSL and I will have the username :smiley:

1 Like

Check the Ubuntu documentation for OpenSSL:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSSL

Hello again :slight_smile:
I have red trough many times and I am a bit confused. In the link to the documentation you sent me its an another reference in the very beginning thats says (see Installing software).

On this site I go down to the terminal usage (Via a Text Based Methods) and see tahat I gan use < apt-get > but it is recommending me to use aptURL. I tryed the other one and get an list with commands like update, upgrade, install and so on. I guess is the aptURL is what I should use just not sure witch url for getting the SSL certificate. The terminal cannot find the commando :stuck_out_tongue:

I also see that I can get it via Apache-style and here I think I am on the track :smiley:

Soon Docker is working :smiley:

1 Like

I was installing SSL successfully and was running; < sudo docker run hello-world >

The message I got is:
Hello from Docker!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

From here there are some links that I want to check oute; hub.docker.com and docs.docker.com/get-
started/

Some hove the docker must be connected to the ODM the I can try the photo I have, it is around 1000 pictures from an old project. It will take hours 24 to 30 for ODM to finish the photogrammetrical process and I wil get an DSM :slight_smile:

Since I have enough memory on my computer I hope it wont crash :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like