New guy from Idaho

Hi guys, like the title says I new to the group from the Boise, ID area.

I am starting an aerial photography business and one of the catagories I would like to focus on is aerial mapping for construction/development. I am flying the new Mavic Air 2 and am looking to use ODM via Linux. Quite honestly, I am not the most computer/tech savy person in the world and usually just poke around until something works… So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial, or “starting point” to get it all set up on my machine it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, somewhat off topic, but I am currently using the Ubuntu distro, but am open to better options if there are any for ODM.

My eventual goal is to operate heavy drones for fast mapping/photo surveys without being tied to commercial programs.

Thank you in advance!

4 Likes

Welcome!

The OpenDroneMap: The Missing Guide book is an invaluable resource. Funds go directly to OpenDroneMap development.

Otherwise, the Docker install on Linux is generally considered the “easiest” route, especially over native install which can get tricky for some.

I ran OpenDroneMap quite easily via my Solus linux install, which I prefer to Ubuntu/Debian derivatives due to it having far more up to date kernel and packages.

My long-term goal is to get a native install of the ODM stack working on Alpine Linux :smiley:

Thanks for the reply!

Can I ask why you want native and not in Docker for Alpine? What advantages to you get not running it in the docker?

1 Like

Hey, welcome. I have a friend from Denver who moved up to Boise in 2018 or 2019. He doesn’t do anything with ODM, but he has a lot of experience in the drone industry. Last I heard he was sick of drones and calling it quits. Probably trying to make a go at full-time fly fishing if I had to guess :slight_smile: He’s a good guy and fun to talk with, anyway. I’d be happy to put you in contact if you like.

Ubuntu + Docker is what I use primarily, also.

1 Like

To stay more true to Alpine’s lightweight nature, I suppose. A minimal Alpine install with full ODM just sounds appealing to me instead of taking in docker and all its dependencies and then ODM stuff.

Academic exercise, I guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That makes sense!

1 Like

Hey that would be great! Sounds like we have a love for fly fishing in common as well! I will send you my contact info. Thank you!