Masking Images for OpenMVS

I opened this topic to follow up on Image mask feature does not work in newer versions.

I am interested in masking images after OpenSfM and before OpenMVS (to remove certain parts of images from the reconstruction). Is there some progress on this issue or something else planned? The comment in the corresponding stage suggests that you are planning to introduce this feature at some point.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Welcome!

You can manually mask the input images by painting out the areas you don’t want to reconstruct and some folks have had success with that method so far.

As for re-implementing image mask support, that’s a great question. I’m not sure how big of a lift that would be at present.

1 Like

Hey!

Thanks for your quick response. I actually tried to paint out the areas I don’t want to reconstruct. For me this results in non-plain surfaces (actually craters) in the reconstructed mesh. For my application this is not an option.

Thanks for your time!

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I too am very interested in the reactivation in the new version of the masking functionality of elements not to be returned in the final 3D model and also in the exclusion of some areas of the photos not to be analyzed in the search for tiepoints (such as sky, windows, reflective surfaces, wet surfaces, moving cars filmed in the scene, …).
Is the reactivation of this feature planned?
Thanks
Good things everyone

2 Likes

Yes, it is certainly on our list of things to do, but it might be a significant lift to get it re-implemented.