Map issues - malformed parts

Hello everyone,
just to let you know, I’m let’s say newbie in this entire ecosystem of mapping software.
I’m trying to get ortophoto map of photovoltaic farm, but on final map image there are some malformed parts (on photovoltaic panels - photo below, I’m using default options here)

I tried to experiment with options (based on documentation and similar reported problems) and sometimes I got better results sometimes worse, but I’m not able to find proper configuration to have map totally lack of malformed parts (on photovoltaic panels).
I tried some other software (pix4dMapper) to be sure that the photos are OK. I recevied map without malformed parts using default configuration (photo in google drive, cannot add more than 1 photo currently)

Here is the link for the photos dataset:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K0wMwFRYMPHnKIFpWoTnBtg5CYI-XM7W

Does anybody has any idea how to fix this issue?
Thank You in advance

1 Like

First I would recommend checking that your dataset has proper overlap and images are not blurry. After the datase is good to go selecting high resolution profile and increasing min num features to around 20k would be a good start.

2 Likes

Images are not blurry, please take a look on photos, in my opinion overlap is enough. I tried with min num features ~20k and also with feature-quality ultra, but it didn’t help. What do You mean by high resolution profile?

1 Like

If you get good results using pix4Dmapper I also think that the dataset itself should be okay. I am also struggling with solar panel alignment right now in my project. Will be interesting to see what will be the solution here…

I noticed that it starts with good alignment on the top right and gets worse, especially in the lower line of panels. Maybe you could try to capture a little bit more of the surrounding area in your next mission to make it easier for the software to find similar points?

2 Likes

this dataset is a part of the mission, I also tried to use all photos to create a map so the alignment was the same in that case, but thank You for your post

1 Like

Does using --use-3dmesh improve the results?

1 Like

Unfortunately no :frowning:

Below the map generated using use-3dmesh option

1 Like

Hello, I’m facing exactly the same issue. I contacted with timmy and on his images I have the same result as him. On my images exactly the same.

Could you please help us ? Which options should we set to get map without deformations?

1 Like

This issue is probably most related with sun shadow, in the other sections of map (for example the lower edge of panels line) there are no malformed parts (except last line of panels, because I guess there is not enough picture overlapping). Any ideas how to lower the impact of sun shadow for map generating process?

1 Like

I tried processing this with the defaults with the upcoming 3.0.0 release 3.0.0 release by pierotofy · Pull Request #1551 · OpenDroneMap/ODM · GitHub, and I think it’s looking quite better:

1 Like

thank You for your willingness to help, yep it looks better but I’m afraid that it will not be enough :frowning:
on Your ss some connections between panels are tilted to the left and some of them tilted to the right, do You have any idea why it works like that?

1 Like

Min-features doesn’t really matter, with no image reduction I’m seeing over 300000 features in nearly all the images.
There doesn’t appear to be enough overlap, especially considering the significant areas that are lost due to specular solar reflections.

2 Likes

Yep, push overlap/sidelap higher, try approaching the panels at different headings during the survey (so almost like cross-grid) to change location of specular reflections, and if you can, using a circular polarizing filter tuned to duck the reflections might help a fair bit.

Or, if you’re really lucky, fly on a nice, evenly overcast day so you have diffuse lighting.

3 Likes