How to take photos for 3D model with camera

Hello everyone,

I would like to create a 3D model of a marble statue placed inside a garden, using a simple camera (no drone).
I took pictures rotating around the statue from all angles and at different heights, but WebODM created a 3D model of the whole park around with a hole just where the statue. Exactly the opposite of what I wanted :man_facepalming:
I want the model of the statue, what is around it does not interest me.

Does anyone know how I should go about having the 3D model of the statue and not of everything around it?

For processing In WebODM I have selected the “3D Model” mode

Thanks in advance for your availability :pray:

1 Like

Have you tried masquerading the background? it’s not fast forward but I find it very usefull
https://docs.opendronemap.org/masks.html
ciao
luca

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try.

I was wondering if using a white (or black) tarp behind the statue, rotating it so that it is always facing the camera, would make things easier.

2 Likes

Yup. A physical mask would work too, and that would prevent issues with sky.

3 Likes

Could you tell me how to export a GIMP mask into a .jpg file as described in the linked guide?

…I tried but I can’t figure out how to do it

The matter is only saving a bw immage as a png or the other formats supported, with the same dimension of the original image, naming it as ie originalname_mask.png, no need to save the gimp “mask”.
Simply make a copy of the original image then color in black what you want to mask and in white the all the remaining…

1 Like