Hey there! (presenting my self)

Hi! :slight_smile: Don’t know what to write? Try with these:

• What do you do?
    I am a Geographer working with biodiversity and spatial analysis. Nowadays I am living in Misiones, Argentina.
  • How did you get into drones?
    I have just stated with a borrowed drone. It is a DJI MAvic Pro;
  • How are you using/hoping to use the software?
    Until yesterday I was using DroneDeploy to plan and process the drone imagery. So I asked myself “why I didn’t give a try to ODM, so far?”. I installed (smooth, with any problem) I started with a small processing. I got impressed with how easily I got the results. Of course, now I need to learn more the technical parameters…
  • What are you working on currently? Any projects you’d like to share or talk about?
    I am working with biodiversity. So, I am interested on identifying tree species from above, perhaps making some measurements, like biomass volume…

I already took a took in the learning area. Thanks for the amazing software!
Felipe

4 Likes

Welcome, Felipe!

Glad to have you join our Community.

Your work sounds quite interesting and important!

Yes, learning the parameters is an on-going thing for everyone, so don’t feel bad :slight_smile:

Please ask any questions you may have, hit up our documentation (https://docs.opendronemap.org), and read around!

(Also, post some stuff of your work when you get a chance!)

2 Likes

Hey Felipe!

I’m working on starting up some similar work in California, USA. I’m the drone pilot for a university and studying forestry. We’ve been collecting data on local forests using a Phantom 4 Multispectral RTK unit hoping that we can draw some biomass/ mensuration conclusions in some post-fire areas.

I’d love to hear more about what you’re working on!

If you want to talk shop about collection and processing methods that’d be great too.

Anyhow, nice to meet you,

Sam

2 Likes

Hi Filipe.

I am solo software developer… and drone pilot, specializing in aerial mapping and map processing.
I’ve been doing some mapping projects in the South Pacific islands. Mapping vast rainforest mountain areas for building small hydro electric stations for local communities, assisting local farmers with their land surveys and analysis etc…

I thought you could probably be interested as we’re developing project for working with maps in the cloud. Specifically we’ve been developing sort of AI that analyses GeoTIFF images and finds there specific trees and plants… we started with coconut trees as their canopies quite easy to distinguish from others, so now the machine can look at big GeoTIFF and find and count all coconut trees there quite well… It’s more like fun project and haven’t been released publicly yet at the moment, but I am wondering maybe you have some specific plants for automatic recognition and analysis that we could feed to our machine as well for training purposes…
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Love this. My heart is in these kinds of extensions and use cases.

5 Likes

Hello, there!
Thanks for the warming welcome!

Yes, thats sound great!
I will work on that!

That’s sound amazing! I am using a DJI Mavic Pro with only RGB sensor. Would be great if you share some findings and methodologies from your project, if possible.
I will write something about mine, too.

Wow, seems to be nice work. Are you using multirotor drone?

Yes, that is exactly what I was planning to do. A few weeks ago I have tried the python module deep forest for tree detection. An pam trees, like coconuts, are visually easier to identify.
Althought it is now published would be possible to comment about the methodology you are using? Learning about deep learning is something to study, beyond photogrametry, drone etc…
Our challenges is that with only RGB or even with red edge on NIR, will be something hard to classify tree species (at least is what I imagine) as e are in a tropical ecossystem…

So, Thanks a lot for your comment. I will work on a post about what I am working on and what I could achieve so far.

2 Likes