Getting Scale of 3D scans

I was going through some blog posts related to WebODM out of Curiosity and i found this Skull 3d Scan. this is awesome. now if i get my hands on such a dataset or make a scan myself i see that the measurements i get in webodm is really off. how do i get accurate measurements here?

2 Likes

The trick here is to have some reference measurements. In the case of that example, I didn’t have any reference measurements, but I’ve put a square scale in previous work in order to create ground control points in order to get scaled models:

2 Likes

this seems to be great but what if one were to be working with something like an artifact, or a war ruin? we would be asked to be as precise as possible right? would it be possible to use lidar to create the point cloud and then have odm texture it out for us with the images?

2 Likes

I don’t want to ask to too much, but I strongly feel like the odm is just lacking one thing in terms of being used to generate 3D models primarily rather than as a suprise feature.

If we could place QR codes of predefined sizes in near the odjects we were scanning, we could in tneory have odm spit out accurate size measurements by looking for these markers in the dataset images

2 Likes

Do you know of a standard implementation of this, with an existing library? Something like April Tags?

@manand881 & @Saijin_Naib – this would be worth integrating: https://github.com/dronemapper-io/aruco-geobits

4 Likes

I would like to make one thing clear about myself here, I am not a skilled developer nor do i have the money to buy almost anything.
I am open to being a regular contributor in terms of doing small odd tasks which are within my abilities towards the advancement of the OpenDroneMap organization.
If you can find small tasks that will help you out, i would love to be engaged in the community doing something constructive.

2 Likes