Failure to process

Hi,
I’ve successfully processed several maps so far using WebODM and been very happy with the results. The highest one to date was 700 images which was completed in around 4.5 hours. My latest one however ( it is 1924 images which I know would take longer, the time isn’t the problem, it’s the failing) has failed twice, saying I need to install more RAM, I have 128GB RAM and noticed it’s never used more than 77GB, leaving plenty to spare. I have intel i9 processor and am using Windows 11 pro. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Docker and am currently trying for the third time to process the images but it’s going extremely slowly like it was before and I’m expecting to wake up to another fail message.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I will leave specific Windows recommendations to someone else, but you should add 128-256GB swap. You’ll never see all the RAM used as it happens in a momentary spike (which is why it is fine to use swap).

4 Likes

Hi, so upgrade my RAM? I was sure I had enough to handle anything lol

2 Likes

You have enough RAM, you need to add swap, which is virtual memory.

Search for other posts on windows + swap, and let us know if you have any challenges.

2 Likes

Ok, now I understand. Thank you very much, I will try it and let you know :grinning:

2 Likes

When adding more than 128GB of swap through .config file in windows for wsl2 i have read it has issues so i guess the max is 128GB.
Maybe someone to confirm that?

Something like this…

2 Likes

How much RAM are you allocating in your .wslconfig?

I’ve allocated 550GB, but I haven’t done anything with the .wslconfig, I will have a look at it when back at my PC, I restarted the map but guessing it won’t make any difference until I change the .wslconfig. Thank you for the help

1 Like

Yes, your .wslconfig will be where you can adjust how much physical RAM WSL2 has access to. By default, it will not exceed 50%. I do not recommend leaving less than 4GB for the Host OS (if you will not be using it while processing), or no less than 8GB if you will be using the Host OS.

Great thank you, I’m new to all this, a few months ago I could barely turn a computer on lol. I will watch YouTube to work out how to change the wslconfig

1 Like

Microsoft has really good documentation:

2 Likes

Thank you very much :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve had no joy with it so far, I’m just not computer literate enough so I’ve paid for the other version which I believe bypasses docker? I’m hoping it works better now

1 Like

Now it’s saying it can’t process the data set and to make sure I have enough overlap which I did but I’ve tried a few times and it won’t work. Will have to fly the mission again and hope it works next time

1 Like

If that dataset is giving you issues within WebODM for Windows native (and you can’t share it publically) please reach out to [email protected] and I’ll work with you to see what’s happening.

If you can share it publically, start a new thread with the dataset, your parameters, the processing log, and any screenshots and we’ll all help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.