Exporting images from WebODM with GPS exif data

I’m not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if the feature doesn’t exist yet.

Is it possible to export images from WebODM with GPS exif data included? I can see GPS position information in the Map Viewer in WebODM - and the overlay with google maps is decent. However, when I export any images they don’t appear to have any GPS data in the Exif.

I can add the locations myself, using something like lightroom makes that fairly simple, but would be nice to have them in the exported image.

1 Like

Do you mean exporting the ortophoto?

Yes, the ortophoto

Have you tried opening it in something like QGis?

Its a big download for QGis. Its in progress… <…waiting…>

What I was basically asking about is does WebODM currently support exporting files such as JPEG or PNG with Exif data for GPS position? It would seem not (right now). I realise its only a single position and there isn’t scale information, but basically was expecting it would output something in the file. Perhaps just the centre of the image GPS is tagged into the image. Not looking to overlay the image with anything else, just that the personal maps I’ve created it would be nice to have their location embedded without having to add the details manually.

Doing a little more searching, it appears something like gdal might be able to do the conversion. I looked at exiftool, however seems the geotiff location information isn’t simple to extract in a way that I could export it from the tiff into the jpeg/png file.

1 Like
gdal_translate -co worldfile=yes" input.tif output.png 

should do the trick in converting WebODM’s geotiff to png with world file. (Untested and typed on my phone, so caveat emptor).

1 Like

Welcome!

As you’ve noted, no, the GPS metadata is not the same as the geolocation/GeoTIFF-type metadata, and we do not attach the single GPS metadata on an exported orthophoto/DEM because it would interfere with the proper geolocation metadata in many programs.

Depending upon your platform, you may have acess to various EXIFTOOL GUI/Front-Ends like jEXIFTOOL, which can make it easier for you to manually put the GPS Location metadata. Another option would be Image geotagging tools, but be aware they very likely will destroy the GeoTIFF metadata if they touch the file. Very few image editors preserve those tags properly.

Just to be clear, was only looking for GPS Exif data on the jpg or png. Just so that when I add files exported like that into my photo collection they are tagged with the location.
Perhaps an option for users could allow the embedding?

Are you saying the geotiff data is also in the jpg/png files? I don’t see any need to modify the geotiff.

I’m working on getting some tool to convert them for me, but its not a simple and straight forward process.

I managed to get back to working on this, yes I got QGis installed, seems the process is Raster Menu → Conversion → Translate (Convert Format)… however I still couldn’t find a way to get the GPS encoded in the JPEG.
Whilst looking at the conversion, it is using gdal_translate - which was much faster and easier to install.

I tried running my own gdal_translate commands after searching the internet and reading the docs - all without luck.

Using gdalinfo I can see information is in the tiff, and actually if I use gdalinfo on the jpeg. However, exiftool (and other applications like lightroom) just don’t show the GPS info.

I’m sure its possible with something like python to read in the geotiff file, and write out an appropriate exif string for the file to have it included. I have the capability to do that myself, but the effort in time isn’t something I can justify right now.

My post was about if WebODM was meant to be doing this automatically, for JPG/PNG files - but it would appear that is not the case. As a feature I think it would be nice, even if it was opt-in for people to use it.
For now, I’m just going to go back to lightroom where I can load in the all the photos my drone took, and then drag the rendered output from ODM ontop a map… I’m not generating any more than a few renders at a time.

1 Like