Creating a server node

Hi all!
I have been successfully using ODM and WebODM for a couple of years now with great results. Now I am starting to process large datasets (up to 4000 photos with a Mavic Pro) and I got access to a linux server to process the data. I am trying to figure out how can I send the processing to the server: I do not have access to a hard drive directly on the server, but I get a virtual disk that can be used to share data between the computer and the server.
In principle, all I can do on the server is use their processing power (RAM and processors), without sudo privileges (I could ask them to install things for me, but I cannot run things as sudo) nor a GUI (I could get one if it is really necessary). I have read through the different ODM products, but I am uncertain on how can I get this server configured as a node for the WebODM instance.

Would it be enough if I install WebODM on the server (with git-clone), and start it? And then how could I get my WebODM (in a linux VM on my computer) to send the processing to the node?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @northern_mapper :hand:

If you have docker, just run:

docker run -d -p 3000:3000 opendronemap/nodeodm

On the server.

Thanks @pierotofy!
I have tried, but apparently docker is not started in the server (when I type service docker status, it says “dead”), and I don’t have sudo privileges. I will have to wait until the admin can start docker himself so I can work on it without requiring sudo. Do I need to install ODM on the server first, or does the command above take care of the process?

Is there any place I could read up on how to make this process work?
What I understand of this workflow is:
1- Start nodeodm on the server
2- Start webodm on my computer
3- Add the server node (how do I get the proper IP for that?) to my WebODM
4- Process imagery on the server node
5- Download assets to my computer
6- Conquer the world?

Thank you for the help!

You’re on the right track. For 3 it depends on your server (perhaps the admin can help you with that). You do not need to install ODM on the server if docker works (docker installs ODM for you).

1 Like

Awesome! I will update you on this as soon as I get it up and running!

@pierotofy I almost got the node working as I intended! NodeODM worked fine, I added the node to my WebODM with no issues and did a test run with 20 photos. All without a hiccup… until I loaded a larger dataset.
The /var folder is only 16Gb, and I need more than that: ideally, I would like to store all the data into my WebODM local copy, so I don’t overload the limited amount of data on the server. I have tried to find a way to do so, but the server does not recognize my hard drive.
The IT people are reluctant to give me more space, and are asking me to find alternative solutions. I do have external drives that I could use as storage (although not too fast on data transfer), but then I have to either physically connect them on the server room (and I doubt I will get access to that) and then use the command

docker run -p 3000:3000 -v /mnt/external_hd:/var/www/data opendronemap/nodeodm

Or find a way to mount a drive remotely, and access it somehow from the node.

Do you have any suggestion on this, or should I just tell them to please make me a large partition for this (or let me go and plug in an external HDD, which is unsafe)? Any suggestion is more than welcome