Cloud Import on WebODM!

Hey ODM Community!!!

As of today, we have version 1.1.3 of WebODM. In this new version, there is a new plugin called “Cloud Import”.

This new plugin adds the posibility to import images from an external source into a new task directly. There is no need to download the images and re-upload them to WebODM anymore!!!

mindblown

So, how does it work?
You will now see a new button “Cloud Import” that lists all the supported cloud platforms.
Once you click on the desired platform, you will be asked to enter the url of the folder/album where to find the images to import.
And that’s pretty much it!

Ok, but which platforms are supported?
Now, as you may see from the screenshots above, currently, the only supported platform is Piwigo. The project I’m working on required support for it, so that’s where I started.

I know that Piwigo isn’t the most used platform, and that you would prefer others, such as Github, Google Drive or Dropbox. And that’s where you come in!

I want new platforms!
Adding support for new platforms should be pretty straight forward. The platforms framework is really similar to how plugins work in WebODM. You can take a look at the plugin’s README for some tips on how to add new platforms. And of course, you can ping me if you need any help.

Now, sadly, I don’t have much time to add new platforms right now, but I wanted to let you know that there is an easy way for you to add the platforms you want :smile:

I think that’s it! I hope you like the new plugin, and use it as much as I will.

Thanks!

Nico

3 Likes

:clap: this is a great addition! I really look forward to more providers being added.

Which provider should be added next?

• GitHub
  • Google Drive
  • Dropbox
  • Other (please reply)

0 voters

Hi, thanks so much, can’t wait for a Dropbox provider :slight_smile: that will definitely be a killer feature when working in locations with unreliable connection.

How would it work? As a Dropbox app accessing the account (hence requiring requesting a key) or would it be able to parse folders given a public link?

Also, what about a generic provider based on a multi-cloud cli tool such as rclone? That would potentially unlock many providers without too much development effort.

1 Like

Hey @Olivier!

Right now, the support for Piwigo has a sort of duality. You can set any public folder link, but if you configure a server URL, then all the folders in the server are listed, so you don’t have to find the url.

Probably this duality could also be used for Dropbox / GDrive :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nchamo @pierotofy What do you think about an “rclone” provider, to leverage all these providers : https://rclone.org/ ?

I may be able to put some work in this, but would like to make sure there’s a chance to see this land in master before that !

Cheers,

Olivier

1 Like

(that may also be a good path to take to implement cloud export at some point, to save results directly in the cloud)

@Olivier that’s a great idea. I would fully support a feature to import from rclone providers. Also saving directly in the cloud.

2 Likes

Hey @Olivier!

As @pierotofy said, it would be a great addition :slight_smile:

The more, the merrier!

People people people, wake up, at_work_small_transparent NextCloud has to be next!!