Can run WebODM as superuser but not regular user

Bottom line: I’m able to run WebODM on Ubuntu 20.04 as the superuser, but not as a normal user. Obviously I’d like to get this running as a normal user. When I run it as a normal user, I get

Checking for docker… OK
Checking for git… OK
Checking for docker-compose… OK
Starting WebODM…

Using the following environment:
================================
Host: localhost
Port: 8000
Media directory: appmedia
SSL: NO
SSL key: 
SSL certificate: 
SSL insecure port redirect: 80
Celery Broker: redis://broker
Default Nodes: 1
================================
Make sure to issue a ./webodm.sh down if you decide to change the environment.

docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose.nodeodm.yml start || docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose.nodeodm.yml up --scale node-odm=1
ERROR: .FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './docker-compose.yml'
ERROR: .FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './docker-compose.yml'

The errors do not occur when I run as root. I’ve added the user to the docker group and I eliminated an apparmor error in the logs by updating the apparmor profile for docker. The file “docker-compose.yml” exists in the directory from which the wedodm.sh command is run and to which the whole git repo was cloned. It appears that the error is being thrown from docker, but I cannot figure out why. Anybody have thoughts? I appreciate it in advance.

1 Like

Update: I now cannot get it to work as the superuser, either. No idea why that is happening. The named file (docker-compose.yml) is present.

What are the permissions on that file?

-rw-rw-r–
Check my math but I think that’s 664. I’ll make them 777 and see if that helps.

Tried with 777 permissions and got the same result.

Seems that docker is looking someplace other than my current directory when it looks for ./docker-compose.yml. That is, when docker goes to the current directory ("./") it looks at another location, but I don’t know enough about docker to understand where that might be or how to change it.

Also recloned the repository and tried 666 permissions on that file alone. No love.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.