Assembling various orthophoto

Hello everyone,

I’m very beginner in the field of cartography with drone. I installed ODM on a 2018 MacBook pro (i5 2.3GHz - 8GB RAM - 1TB HDD - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB), I can’t get it to work via Docker and lines of code, so I use WebODM to create orthophotos via “fast-orthophoto”. I have to stitch over 15,000 images to create an orthophoto of a forest I’m working on. On the other hand I can not assemble more than 300 images by “fast-orthophoto”, it is because of the Mac which is not powerful enough?

Unfortunately I believe that I would not be able to create an orthophoto of the forest in 1 single file, so I will end up with more than fifty orthophoto files…
Would you have a solution / tip to assemble then dozens of orthophoto in order to have a relatively correct rendering in terms of luminosity, colors, contrasts etc?

Thanks a lot for your help !

1 Like

Welcome, Vincent!

Sorry you’re having issues.

Yes, 15k images for 8GB RAM is really quite slim.

Have you looked at the split-merge pipeline to see if that might suit better?

Alternatively, you could composite the various orthos you’ve created as individual outputs/tasks using Mosiac or other processing toolboxes in QGIS.

1 Like

Thanks for your help Saijin !

I can’t get ODM to work through Docker and Terminal, I don’t understand why … And I don’t really understand how to run the split-merge pipeline from WebODM either! I’m really not good at computers !!

I’m also not familiar with the modules you are talking about regarding Qgis but it seems to me that it could be suitable. Is it easy to use?

1 Like

see “split for newbes” thread of this forum, with qgis and freehand plugin for qgis you can easy move , turn and resize ortphotos and pictures to match its. There are tutos on youtube of freehand plugin for qgis.

2 Likes

If you’re using WebODM Lightning, then we don’t really have split-merge enabled there yet. If you’re using WebODM on desktop for Windows/Mac, you can do split-merge from the GUI just like changing every other processing parameter.

Depending upon your QGIS release and whether or not you have some optional processing extensions enabled, there are an absolute wealth of ways to mosaic images.

Ricardo gave you some good tips, but a great way to see what you have available to you in QGIS is simply to search your toolbox.

1 Like

OK thank you very much Ricardo for the advice I will look at this. On the other hand, it would suit me if WebODM made me the assembly of the 50 orthophoto that I already created on the WebODM interface.

OK thank you very much Saijin for the advice. Sorry but I’m really bad at computers (and in English) and I don’t understand where in the WebODM interface you can select “split-merge”, really I don’t see and don’t understand how to do it … Can you help me please?
Will it be possible for me to assemble the 50 orthophoto that I have already created on the WebODM interface (on WebODM these orthophotos are in different projects)?

Thanks a lot for your help !

1 Like

Vincent, we don’t current support/work for compositing existing orthophoto products as they will almost certainly lack sufficient overlap/sidelap for our reconstruction pipeline.

You can try a naive 2D stitch with something like Microsoft Image Composite Editor or using the QGIS toolbox to mosaic the final products.

In the WebODM UI, you want to work with the split parameters:

The documentation helps explain how to work with them:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.