Applicability of Images collected from go-pro 7 on Web ODM to generate DSM

I am quite new to the WebODM community and started using WebODM for my project. I have a series of images from Gopro -7 and would like to use them on WebODM to generate a DSM and a 3D model of a road feature. Conceptually the images have latitude, longitude and altitude data. However, I can not able to build a 3D model and while uploading more than 30 images the process stopped with an error code 1. Does WebODM only able to handle images obtained from a drone and not from a GO-pro camera? If anyone could give me some insights that would be very helpful for my project.

Regards
Chandrama

2 Likes

Firstly welcome to the forum:-)

Are you able to share the data set somewhere? Google Drive! Dropbox etc. I’m still learning the ropes here, but seeing the images can really help in the first instance regarding overlap etc.

To my knowledge any camera (within reason) can be used, a Go Pro should certainly be able to capture sufficient quality images.

Regards Woody

2 Likes

Code 1 usually indicates insufficient RAM.

How much system RAM do you have, and if you’re using docker/WSL2, how much RAM allocated to ODM?

From the sounds of your 30-image limit, likely no more than 8GB, perhaps less.

Hi Woody,

First of all thanks a lot for the response. I can not share the whole data set due to privacy reason. But definitely share the first few data. it is not allowing me to upload multiple images here. I therefore just shared 1 image.
I am using a VM with Docker container install into it. The RAM is 16 GB.

Thanks
Chandramaframe0

Hi Saijin,

Yes I am using a Docker container on a VM with 16 GM RAM.

Thanks
Chandrama

Can you allocate more? Give it as much as you can and try again.

I notice that the car bonnet (as we say in the uk) is visible in the image. I am assuming that this will confused parts of the pipeline? Others with more knowledge will be able to confirm, but maybe you could crop it out and retry?

Ok, I will then try to crop the images and retry them. Thanks for your suggestions Woody. I will update once run the cropped images.

Regards
Chandrama

Ok, I will try to increase the RAM to 32 GB. Thanks for your suggestions Saijin.

Regards
Chandrama

Hi Woody, I have tried again to increase the RAM and using first 100 images out of 253 with no resizing and got an inverted road orthophoto.

Note: the video was for 42 seconds with 59 frames/ec and I only extracted every 10th frame and saved as a jpeg image. The inverted road picture is as below -

I will again try to run with cropped image.