Absolutely No Idea

Hi Guys,
Please be nice.
Total novice here with a DJI P2V+ drone and wants to survey an old gold mine for a friend. Pix4D is outrageously outside the budget. So, can anyone point me in the direction of a program and tutorials that we can use to map the hill and then produce a 3D render of the old mine.
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards, KH

Well, you’ve found the Community Discourse for the program that will do the stitching for you :wink: In specific, if you wish to just collect data and hit run without having to install software, you’d be best served by WebODM Lightning, made by @pierotofy and UAV4Geo.

And for general tutorials, we have the excellent OpenDroneMap: The Missing Guide, written by @pierotofy, the head of UAV4Geo, and one of the core developers of OpenDroneMap.

Proceeds directly fund further development of this great platform for all of us.

As for flight planning, I’d recommend Litchi.

For more specific guidance on how to optimize your flight plan, see these excellent blog posts by @smathermather-cm, another core developer:

I’d also recommend doing some trial flights. This all isn’t as easy and push-button as some may have you think :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the the starters. Looks like I have some work to do before next week. A steep learning curve but will get back to you in a few weeks.

1 Like

It isn’t impossible, but you’re jumping into a very specific application/intersection of a number of different courses of study that people make undergraduate/graduate degrees out of. Granted, we’re standing on the shoulders of giants here and are fortunate to have such advanced software and resources at our disposal, but this stuff is still pretty involved. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, and I’d also caution you to listen to your gut if you have any doubts. It costs nothing to re-read, ask questions, or take another collect if something seems off.

I hate to add further work to your plate, but I believe you’d also be well-served by getting acquainted with QGIS, at least for data product inspection, verification, and possibly for modification, or for making further derived products from.

That in and of itself is a huge learning curve, but you can start by simply dragging/dropping your output TIFF files onto it to view them, so at least you can jump on easily.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.